Breaking News

Croydon Police Shooting Suspect Named as Louis De Zoysa; His Pic Revealed

The suspect in the shooting of a veteran Metropolitan Police in South London has been named as Louis De Zoysa.

The officer Sgt Matiu Ratana, 54, died in hospital after being shot at the Croydon custody centre as a handcuffed suspect was taken into custody on Friday morning. The officer was just two months away from retirement.

The handcuffed suspect inside a station had moved to custody as the officer believed it was the 'safest option,' before his upcoming retirement, a friend has said, as medics revived the suspected gunman after he reportedly died in hospital.

The 23-year-old, who is thought to have shot himself, remains in a critical condition in hospital, and police said they have not yet been able to speak to him as part of the murder investigation.

It is claimed he was revived by doctors after 'dying' in hospital.

It is said the officer, who was preparing for retirement, was planning to propose to girlfriend Sue Bushby, 44, after “six wonderful years” together. He is also survived by an adult son.

Louis De Zoysa, pictured blowing out birthday candles in 2017, is thought to have shot himself

A man has been arrested on suspicion of supplying a firearm in connection with the murder investigation. He was arrested at around 2am of Sunday in Norwich, Norfolk.

Searches in Pollards Hill, Norbury, where the suspect was initially arrested by officers for possession of ammunition and possession of class B drugs on Friday, have finished, police said.

Other searches are taking place at the suspect's home in Norbury in south London, and an address on Park Road, Banstead in Surrey, as well as forensic examinations on the custody suite where the incident unfolded in Croydon Custody Centre at about 2.15am on Friday.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which attended the scene after the shooting, said the murder suspect had been taken into the building and sat in a holding area in the custody suite, then opened fire while still in handcuffs as officers prepared to search him with a metal detector.

The suspect, from Norbury, is said to have 'died' in hospital before being revived by medics, the Sun reported.

Met Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick, speaking at the National Police Memorial in central London earlier, said she "hadn't been surprised at all" by the number of tributes paid to him.

"Matt was an extraordinary person... he had a wonderful personality and he was very good at his job," she said, adding that he was a "proud Kiwi".

No comments